1. Channel your seven-year-old self. What would he or she want to do right now? Color? Paint? Run around outside? Play dress up? Eat with your hands? Play that instrument hiding in the back of your closet that you haven’t touched in years? Just because you’re a grown up doesn’t mean any of this stuff will be less enjoyable than you remember it. Give yourself permission to play.
2. This one is for the ladies: wear your sexiest lingerie under your work clothes. Your “little secret” will leave you feeling anything but boring all day!
3. Play cell phone roulette. You’ll need at least one buddy for this. Scroll through the contacts in your phone, stop on a random one and call the person. Could spark an incredible catch up session. Could be incredibly awkward. Neither are boring.
4. Sign up for a class in something you’ve “always wanted to do”, or something that makes you really uncomfortable. Ideas: pole dancing, salsa lessons, improv, pottery, cooking, knitting (yup, there are classes for this, too!), karate, boxing, something techy like the workshops they run in Apple stores, get Rosetta Stone and learn that language you’ve always wanted to speak, etc.
5. Interview your grandparents about their life. You can bet they’ve had some crazy experiences you probably never knew about.
6. Do something for someone else that you wish someone would do for you. We all have a few ideas on this list. I promise you will feel amazing after and anything but bored.
7. Plan a weekend trip or an all-out vacation. This will give you something to look forward to.
8. People watch. Find a bench in a crowded area (centers of transportation like airports, bus stops and train stations are great for this!) and just observe. People are infinitely interesting.
9. Eat something you’ve never eaten before. Bonus points if it’s a random fruit or veggie.
10. Dance. You can get your friends together for a night on the town or just pull up a video on YouTube and bust a move from your own living room.
11. Learn something new and look through curious eyes. When was the last time you were totally excited to learn about something? When we are interested in life it is more enjoyable and fulfilling. Learn about something you have always wanted to explore, or go deeper into an existing passion. Read a new book or magazine. Meet someone new and ask about their life experiences. Travel somewhere you have never been.
12. Take time to reflect and think deeply. When we live a busy life of hustling to get things done we forget to take time to just be present and quiet. Time for reflection helps the mind remain calm and relaxed. It can promote more open-minded and spacious thinking. Take a few minutes in the morning before getting your day started to just sit quietly and be present. This can be through meditation or contemplative prayer.
13. Don’t compare your life to others. A sure way to miss the joy in life is to focus on what we don’t have and how we wish we were different. Living from a state of competition with others leads to greed and envy. When you feel an urge to compare yourself to someone else focus on total acceptance of the person you are. Recognize the significance in the relationships you have, the work you do, and the experiences you have had. Embrace your uniqueness and be grateful that you are you.
14. Prioritize your time. When we’re constantly doing things we don’t want to do we lose track of what is most important. Make sure to dedicate time to your most important priorities. We all have to do things we don’t want to do sometimes, so make sure you are not too busy to dedicate time for the accomplishment of meaningful activities and spending time with meaningful people.
15. Make a to-do list in the morning. Make it attainable and realistic and you’ll feel good at the end of the day seeing all those check marks.
16. At lunch, turn away from your computer and focus on your food. Be in the moment. Get outside if you have time and walk, read a book, or just take in the day for whatever amount of time you have.
17. Before you go to bed, rehash your day and find gratitude for everything that happened to you that day. Be thankful..